We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Wilds of Sarawak by Bicycle
Borneo conjures up images of intrepid explorers, dense tropical rainforest, a dazzling array of tropical wildlife and of course, the great ape indigenous to this island, the orangutan. This week long cycling adventure takes in Kuching, the diverse, lively capital of Sarawak; orangutan rehabilitation centres where you have a chance to get up close to these engaging creatures, kayaking the languid Sarawak River, trekking along steamy jungle paths, and witnessing the birth of baby turtles on the pristine beaches. The jungle adventures are much the focus of the tour but there will also be plenty of time to mingle with the friendly, fun and fascinating local indigenous people, as the group will stay in their houses and visit their villages.
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration8 days
- Culture LevelOut There
- Skill Level2 - Novice
- Activity Level3 - Active
- Elevation2 - Moderate
- Distance155.3 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance31.1 miles
How long is the tour? How many days of riding?
This tour is 8 days long, with 5 riding days.
How many riders will be in the group?
Groups can be from 2 to 16. For groups of 9 or more, a second guide joins the tour.
Can I rent a bike for the tour?
Yes, quality mountain bikes can be hired for the duration of the tour.
The bikes are well-known makes with lightweight alloy frames, 24 to 27 speed gears, disc/v-brakes, have Shimano components and front suspension.
What's the tour like?
This adventurous trip takes you off the beaten track as you explore the jungles, rivers, and villages of Sarawak. The trip starts in the capital Kuching, where you have the afternoon to discover the main sites before taking the bus the next day to visit the Semenggoh Nature Reserve. Here, you'll have your first taste of the jungle and its inhabitants, the orangutans, that Borneo is famous for. The first ride takes you through fertile plantations on a quiet back road with a stop for a short walk through the jungle before arriving at the village of Annah Rais where the second night will be spent. The next day explore the great Sarawak River by kayak and meet and learn about the local indigenous people - the Dayaks on your way to Siniawan. With Mt. Kubah looming above us, cycle to the Matang Wildlife Centre for another opportunity to spend time with the endearing great apes. The next day is one of the longest rides as you head beach side to Lundu, following the coastal road. Next, head off the beaten track, riding a dirt road to the outpost of Semantan. The last day takes you back to Kuching finishing with a delightful cruise around the mangroves. An adventure through the Malaysian rain forest is a wild and once-in-a-lifetime experience! The route takes you through jungle wilderness far from civilization and inhabited only by wildlife and a few locals living off the land. Though you are well off the beaten track on this tour, hotels and guest houses are often the best available in these remote locations. Please bring a camp towel, extra soap, and a bedsheet or sleeping bag liner for one of our nights in the jungle where the accommodation is very basic. Being prepared will help you enjoy your adventure!
Suitability: The beginning of this ride has a few undulations and flattens out towards the end as you reach the beach. Although distances are not huge, the heat and humidity of equatorial Borneo ensure things feel hot. This is a journey through the finest terrain and scenery of Sarawak, with the best in nature and wildlife, ensuring you get the very best of everything from your cycling efforts.
Biking Conditions: The road surfaces are mixed: most days we ride on a mix of bitumen village roads and some good quality tarmac roads. You will need a mountain bike, preferably one with front shocks. However, there is no technical riding involved on this tour.
Where does the tour start and finish?
The tour starts and finishes in the city of Kuching. Flights can be taken via Kuching International Airport (KCH).
Do I have to pay if travelling alone?
You are not required to pay a surcharge for travelling alone. The tour operator will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveller of the same gender. If you cannot be matched, they will provide a single room at no extra charge. If you prefer not to share, a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travellers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologise for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.