We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Discover Kerala by Bicycle
Kerala is a young state on India's southern tropical Malabar Coast known for its greenery, wildlife reserves, tea and spice plantations, palm-lined beaches and exotic cuisine. It's a world away from the hustle and bustle of elsewhere. Famed for its backwaters and home to a network of hydro-highways popular for sightseeing cruises, it's hard to deny Kerala's liberal use of the slogan 'God's Own Country', when travelling through the peaceful region.
- CategoryEasy-going & Leisurely
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration4 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level2 - Novice
- Activity Level2 - Moderate
- Elevation2 - Moderate
- Distance129.9 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance37.3 miles
How long is the tour?
The tour is 4 days long with 4 days of cycling too.
How many riders will be in the group?
It's difficult to confirm the exact number of riders in the group. However the group size can range from 2 - 16 riders.
Is there a minimum age for this tour?
Yes, riders must be at least 18 years old by the time the tour starts.
What's the tour like?
The ride is approximately 209 km (130mi) in three and a half days of cycling. This tour is on dirt and paved roads with some climbing, but distances are not too strenuous. The route has been designed to take in the best of Kerala’s culture, countryside and wildlife, all while enjoying an active holiday. You will be riding above sea level but this ascent happens over several days allowing time for your body to adjust. The pace is easy, though there are some steep climbs and exhilarating descents, including one that’s 22 km (14mi) long. The trip is fully supported and your guide’s expert knowledge of the area and terrain means that you always know what is coming up in terms of distance and difficulty. This makes a tremendous difference, as does the constant supply of bottled water and fresh local fruits.
Biking Conditions: This trip is on dirt and tarmac roads and there is no technical riding involved on this tour. An air-conditioned support bus travels with the group to support and participants can cycle as much or as little as they like and still enjoy the same views.
Are helmets required?
Wearing a helmet is required on all biking adventures and is non negotiable. If you do not wear a helmet you will not be allowed to cycle. Your tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue, but to a large degree you must be responsible for your own safety while riding. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a mountain biking tour.
Where does the tour start and finish?
The tour starts with an 8:00AM pick up from your central Fort Cochin hotel. It will finish with a farewell lunch on the last day at Fort Cochin as well.
Fort Cochin can be reached through flights at Cochin International Airport (COK)
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travellers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologise for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.