We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
The mystique of Myanmar almost demands that it is explored in a unique way and cycling this mesmerizing country is the perfect way to do it. Combining mountains, lakes, beautiful cities, a fascinating history and the intriguing Buddhist religion and culture – Myanmar packs in so many moments on this tour that can be truly savored by the more pleasurable pace of cycling.
- CategoryCultural & Historical
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration14 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level2 - Novice
- Activity Level2 - Moderate
- Elevation2 - Moderate
- Distance309.4 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance31.1 miles
Where does the tour start and end?
The tour starts and ends in Yangon, the largest city and main economic hub of Myanmar. It can be accessed by international and domestic flights through Yangon International Airport (RGN).
How many people can join the tour?
The minimum number of participants is 2 and maximum is 16. Mnimum age to join is 18 years old.
Can you describe the tour?
This is a touring trip using mountain bikes, and you'll cycle 498 km on country lanes and quiet roads. Though 80% of the riding will be on tarmac, the road can be in poor condition in some spots. There will be some dirt roads, but these are not technical; they are just to take you off the beaten track.
The first few days of riding are up and down the Shan plateau, but the gradient is very gentle. You will pass through many villages, and you will find the people curious, friendly, and polite. The road will be shared with ox carts, cyclists, and waving children. The second phase of the tour are flat rides or on gentle rolling hills and cut through rice fields, ancient cities, and scenic countryside. The averagely fit cyclist will have no problems.
The trip is fully supported with an air-conditioned bus following the group for the entire journey, so exhausted riders can skip the tougher sections if they wish. On major roads, riders can find their own pace and meet up at prearranged points along the way. There is an unbelievable amount to see throughout the tour, and you'll stop frequently to view temples, rural scenes (especially if riding during rice harvest), and villages.
Suitability: This trip is a touring bike journey suitable for anyone with a reasonable level of fitness. There are some long rides, and one or two tough climbs; participants who cycle the whole distance should expect a fairly challenging two weeks. But with the excellent support, inexperienced riders, and even non-riding partners, can be catered for and are more than welcome to join this tour.
Biking Conditions: Although this tour covers around 498 km in 7 full cycling days and 3 half days, it is still quite demanding. This trip has a variety of roads, some in quite good condition to broken tarmac roads, to vehicle-wide dirt trails. There is no technical riding on this trip, but there are some long days.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travelers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologize for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.