We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
North Vietnam Family Explorer
Gently ride through the lush greenery of northern Vietnam on a leisurely exploration designed for all the family. Whilst the biking may be sedate with plenty of stops for breaks and photos, the days are action-packed and filled to the brim with activities to keep everyone amused. From meeting rescued monkeys and gibbons through to making fresh spring rolls together, you’ll experience Vietnam through the eyes of locals, and leave with a wealth of happy and fond memories.
- CategoryFor Families
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration5 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level1 - Beginner
- Activity Level1 - Easy
- Elevation1 - Easy
- Distance100.7 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance19.9 miles
How long is the tour? How many days riding?
This tour is 5 days long, with all 5 being riding days.
How many riders will be in the group?
There will be 2-16 riders in the group and if there are more than 9 participants there will be a second guide joining the group.
Is there a minimum age for this tour?
No. Children are very welcome on this family-oriented tour; there is no minimum age and various riding options are available for children of all ages.
Can I rent a bike for the tour?
Yes. Bike hire is included in the tour price although you are welcome to bring your own bike if you prefer. Child bikes and tag-along bikes (for ages 5-11, max. weight: 38 kg/85 lb) are available. Adults must be experienced riders to pull a tag-along and preferably have experience with tag-alongs. The bikes are well-known makes of hybrid or mountain bikes (depending on the tour) with lightweight alloy frames, 24- to 27-speed gearing, v-brakes, and Shimano components and front suspension.
You can also hire an electric bike (or E-Bike) for an additional cost if you wish.
What's the tour like?
You will ride a total of 162 kilometers (100 miles) through spectacular limestone mountain scenery, bright green rice fields, and charming villages. The roads are a mixture of good asphalt, small rural trails, and dirt roads – all perfect for a family of cyclists. Each day there will be additional activities to learn about Vietnam, immersing yourself hands-on in the culture. One highlight is an afternoon with monkeys, gibbons, civets, and pangolins! The first two nights you will stay in a village at a homestay. You will sleep in a stilt bamboo house in an open dormitory-style room with shared facilities. There is an option to upgrade to a hotel with a pool.
Suitability: This trip is designed and suitable for families with children of any age. The tour operator has included many activities for an action-packed holiday. The tour is suitable for anyone with minimal biking experience and who wants to discover Vietnam's rich history and culture by bicycle.
Biking Conditions: You can expect a gentle ride each day. The cycling is leisurely with plenty of stops to rest or take photos. You will cycle on a variety of terrain, from tarmac to concrete paths to dirt roads. There are a few small hills, but there will always be the option to jump in the support vehicle. Cycle as much or as little as you like.
Are helmets required?
A helmet is required to be worn on all biking activities and is non-negotiable. If you do not wear a helmet you won't be allowed to cycle.
Am I safe?
The tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue, but to a large degree, riders must be responsible for their own safety during the tour. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a cycling tour.
Where does the tour start and end?
The tour starts at your hotel in Hanoi. The tour operator will collect you from your chosen accommodation. The closest airport is Noi Bai International Airport (HAN).
The tour ends at your hotel in Hanoi, the tour operator will drop you there or you can speak to them about alternative travel arrangements. If departing from Hanoi the closest airport is Noi Bai International Airport (HAN).
What happens if we get too tired on the bikes?
There is a support vehicle that follows the tour at all times. You are most welcome to use it at any time should you, or any of your family, wish to take a break from the cycling. You can then still enjoy the wonderful vistas and activities and be safe in the knowledge there are other options available if the biking becomes too much.
Alternatively, you may want to consider hiring an E-bike for the trip, to have that extra boost sometimes needed.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travelers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologize for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.