We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Skip the usual European countries and head for Montenegro with its Mediterranean coastlines, thick forests, deep canyons and medieval towns. The fantastic views on this tour are limitless. You'll come across the biggest lake of the Balkans, island monasteries, structures built by the ancient Greeks, olive groves and a labyrinth of cobblestone lanes. With its rich history, you'll also get to enjoy experiences that are decades old. This includes dining at Kod Pera, a cafe that has been open every day for the past 100 years. Gaining independence only in 2006, Montenegro is a country just waiting to be discovered.
- CategoryCultural & Historical
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration8 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level3 - Intermediate
- Activity Level2 - Moderate
- Elevation3 - Intermediate
- Distance222.5 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance29.8 miles
How long is the tour? How many days riding?
This tour is 8 days long, with 6 riding days.
How many riders will be in the group?
Groups can be from 2 to 16. For groups of 9 or more a second guide joins the tour.
Is there a minimum age for this tour?
Yes. Riders must be 18 years old by the time the tour starts.
Can I rent a bike for the tour?
Yes. Well-known brand name mountain bikes are available for rent. The bikes are made of lightweight alloy frames, with 24- to 27-speed gearing, v- or disc brakes, Shimano components and front suspension.
If you bring your own bike, please make sure it is a mountain bike, preferably with front suspension, in good mechanical order.
What's the tour like?
You will ride a total of 358 km (222 mi) in 6 days of cycling. Most of the tour is on tarmac, but there are stretches on former Austro-Hungarian military trails which can be rocky. The terrain is mountainous, so you will be climbing and having thrilling descents every day. The distances aren't long, but the days will be full. On this trip there is a lot to see along the way.
Suitability: This trip is suitable for anyone with a reasonable level of fitness and some off-road riding experience. This trip is not too arduous; riders with less experience are more than welcome, although the fitter you are, the more you will enjoy it.
Biking Conditions: This trip includes ascending every day. On a few sections, there will be minimal vehicle support, but you will be met by a vehicle at meeting points when possible.
Are helmets required?
A helmet is required to be worn on all biking activities and is non-negotiable. If you do not wear a helmet you won't be allowed to cycle.
Am I safe?
The tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue, but to a large degree, riders must be responsible for their own safety during the tour. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a cycling tour.
Where does the tour start and finish?
The tour starts and will finish in the city of Dubrovnik. The tour operator will provide pick up from Dubrovnik Airport (DBV) on day one.
On departure day, the tour operator can provide transfers to the capital Podgorica, the town of Tivat or Dubrovnik Aiport.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travellers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologise for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.