We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Cycling Puglia & Matera
Cycle from the UNESCO town of Matera through Italy's heel to Lecce. In the deep south of Italy, nestled between the Adriatic and Ionian seas, lie the captivating regions of Puglia and Basilicata. This extensive itinerary explores the very best selection of all the cultural and natural treasures found here. Matera’s fascinating ‘Sassi’ houses and the UNESCO 'Trulli’ houses of Alberobello set the scene for the journey to come.
- CategoryCultural & Historical
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration8 days
- Culture LevelFamiliar
- Skill Level2 - Novice
- Activity Level3 - Active
- Elevation2 - Moderate
- Distance221.2 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance36.7 miles
Where does the tour start and end?
The tour starts in Matera and ends in Lecce, Italy. The best airport to fly in/out of is Bari airport (Bari Karol Wojtyła Airport - BRI).
It is relatively straightforward to make your own way to Matera from Bari airport, the cheapest way is by public transport. There is a bus service running from Bari airport to Matera, called Pugliairbus (transfer 60 mins - ticket €6 www.pugliairbus.aeroportidipuglia.it. It is also possible to travel to Matera by train although it is not recommended as connections are limited.
The tour operator can arrange a private transfer if booked in advance for approximately €70-90 for the vehicle.
How long is the tour? How many cycling days?
The tour is 8 days long with 6 days of cycling.
What's the tour like?
This trip is classified as level: 3/Moderate. The terrain and route is 99% tarmac, with a couple of very short sections of gravel. Most of the cycling is along flat to hilly tarmac roads (mainly traffic-free), with a few steady ascents and descents along the way, so a reasonable level of fitness is required. Road conditions are generally good, but tarmac may be pot-holed in places.
Is a bike included?
Yes, a Velo de Ville L200 bike with front suspension is included in the tour price. An e-bike is possible to rent for an additional cost.
1. The equipment remains the property of the supplier and you may not sell, hire out or part possession with the equipment.
2. You must not misuse the equipment and must return it in the same condition as when received (ordinary wear and tear excepted). The supplier is entitled to charge for any damage caused to the equipment during the period of hire.
3. You must ensure that the equipment is adequately secured when not in use. In the event of the equipment being lost or stolen, you may be liable for the replacement value of the equipment
4. You must not use the equipment whilst under the influence of drink or drugs and should immediately notify the Supplier in the event of breakdown or loss.
Extra Bike Bits
You may like to bring your own pedals and saddle (excluding the seat post) or gel saddle cover to fit to the hire bikes. The tour operator encourages this, if it is your preference. However, please note that you are responsible for your own equipment, and removing your saddle/pedals at the end of the trip. They cannot guarantee the return of any bike parts left behind.
Do I have the wear/bring a helmet?
Wearing a helmet is mandatory for anyone taking part in this cycling holiday. Group members must bring their own helmets, as they are not available for hire.
Cycling of all kinds has its dangers and accidents can happen from time to time. Please ensure that you are properly prepared for the riding you are going to undertake.
Recommended Cycling Clothing
Padded cycling shorts (with loose 'over-shorts' where recommended), breathable clothing, and a lightweight waterproof/windproof top. Shoes with relatively stiff soles are better for biking but are not essential unless you are cycling long distances. Most people want to carry certain items with them during the day while cycling, for this we recommend a large bum-bag or small close-fitting daysack.
Should I have travel insurance?
Yes. It is a condition of joining this holiday that you must be fully insured against medical and personal accident risks (to include repatriation costs and air ambulance or helicopter rescue services where appropriate). On arrival in destination for your trip, you will be asked to present details to your leader or local representative of your policy.
Can I have private room? What is the single supplement cost?
A single supplement is applicable if you are travelling alone or wish to have your own room. The price varies depending on the dates chosen with minimum price starting at AU$533.00.
If you would like to book a single room please contact us.
Please read here for the tour operator's message regarding Covid-19:
Update on trips running on or before 30 September 2021:
As of Tuesday 25 May, 2021
We hope you and your family are staying healthy throughout these trying times.
Ensuring customer safety and enjoyment has been our primary focus since our first overland journey rolled out of London in 1974 and this fact has never been more important than today.
We have introduced enhanced safety protocols in response to COVID-19, which are also in line with the World Travel & Tourism Council’s (WTTC) Safe Travel protocols for tour operators. As such, we are constantly monitoring whether we can safely travel to a destination country, along with what your home country’s current border restrictions are.
We look forward to exploring the world with you again soon.
If your trip departs on or before 30 September 2021:
Due to the current international travel bans in Australia & New Zealand, will be contacting our Australian & New Zealand travellers to discuss your next steps (if you have not been contacted already). You do not need to call us. Please be patient while our customer teams work through bookings in order of proximity to departure.
If you have booked via a travel agent, please contact them to discuss your options.
Thousands of our wonderful customers have already chosen to rebook their holiday for 2022. In doing so they have not only given themselves an incredible adventure to look forward to, but they have also given hope to our long-standing local partners who rely on tourism for their income.
If your trip departs on or after 01 October 2021:
The vast majority of tours are currently planned to run as scheduled, however, we will be in contact with you directly should there be any changes to your specific departure.
We will continue to monitor local conditions and all relevant governmental advice and will review all trips, and update passengers a minimum of 30 days prior to departure.
Book with Confidence
What you need to know:
- You will receive a guaranteed refund if we have to cancel your trip for any reason.
- You will receive a refund if you can’t join your trip because you or a member of your party is diagnosed with COVID-19 or has received a request from the Government to self-isolate, and you are unable to claim for this via your travel insurance.
- Up to 21 days before departure you can transfer to another trip free-of-charge (excluding international flights, and any non-refundable in-destination costs). Please note on our self-guided range of holidays you can make changes free-of-charge up to 31 days before travel. View full booking conditions for details.
- Up to 42 days before departure you can cancel free-of-charge and we’ll refund the balance, and hold the deposit for you to use on any departure in the next 2 years (excluding international flights, and any non-refundable in-destination costs - view full booking conditions for details).
- Excludes Polar Expeditions and Voyages
- Valid for new bookings made on or after 30th June 2020