We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Tour de Gourmet Escape: Cycling in Beechworth
The Tour de Gourmet Escape is a 3-day self-guided tour centering around historic Beechworth. It’s the perfect weekend break, or mid-week escape, and takes in the must do’s of this increasingly popular gourmet region. Located in North East Victoria, about 3 hours drive north from Melbourne, Beechworth is becoming synonymous with wine, food and cycling. Tick all the boxes and take the stress out of knowing where to go, what to taste and how to get there. The tour operator has done the homework for you, so all you need to do is arrive. This cycling tour in Beechworth uses the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail, is downhill and very easy, and is the ideal way to see and experience all this region has to offer.
- CategoryFor Food Lovers
- Duration3 days
- Culture LevelFamiliar
- Skill Level1 - Beginner
- Activity Level1 - Easy
- Elevation1 - Easy
- Distance19.9 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance19.9 miles
Where does the tour start and end?
The tour starts and ends in Beechworth, North East Victoria. Beechworth is approximately a 3-hour drive north from Melbourne. Alternatively, there is a VLine train service to Wangaratta from Melbourne; the tour operator offers paid transfers from here if needed. A number of airlines fly to Albury from Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. Again, the tour operator offers paid transfers if needed.
What do I need to bring with me?
The tour operator provides you with detailed cycling directions once your booking is confirmed, which you need to print out and have with you on the tour. They also suggest you take your mobile phone and a few other items including:
- Water bottle, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat
- Bike helmet (can be provided with bike hire if needed)
- Cycling clothing (loose/comfortable/shorts)
- Puncture repair/spare tube/pump (if bringing your own bike)
- Camera and wallet to purchase those wines
- Your sense of adventure and fun
How long is the tour? How many days riding?
The tour is a 3 day trip with 1 day of cycling. The tour operator suggests starting around 9.30am on day 2, to give you all the time you need to see everything, attend your lunch booking and be ready for the return transfer at 4.30pm.
What's the cycling like?
The riding on the tour is easy, with mainly safe off-road paths using the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail, and includes plenty of delightful gourmet stops. Total distance is approximately 32 km (19 mi).
Is a bike included?
Yes, a 24-speed Trek FX hybrid bike is included in the tour price. There are also electric assist bikes (E-bikes) available for a fee.
Is there a minimum age?
Yes, 18 is the minimum age for the tour.
Are helmets required?
A helmet is required to be worn on all biking activities and is non-negotiable. If you do not wear a helmet you won't be allowed to cycle.
The tour operator does have helmets available to hire but if you have your own this is preferable so that you are comfortable with a well-fitted helmet.
Is transport included on the tour?
A transfer is arranged for the end of the tour, to pick you up at 4.30pm at Brown Brothers and transfer you back to your hotel in Beechworth.
What if I buy large quantities of wine or other purchases that I cannot carry?
The tour operator offers a purchases pick up service, included for free in the tour, so you can buy as much as you like!
As the tour is self-guided, how will I know where to go?
Your arrival information will include detailed riding instructions for your tour along with the map showing your route highlighted. Riding instructions will provide thorough information and give you the flexibility to travel at your own pace.
Can I upgrade my accommodation?
Yes. The standard accommodation included is very comfortable in a 3.5-star establishment however, there are options to either upgrade to a 4-star venue or to a luxury 5-star B&B. These upgrade options are available on booking.
Please read here for a message from the tour operator regarding COVID-19
Tour de Vines is open and operating tours in regions and states where travel restrictions allow.
We are able to host you on a tour depending on the tour region and where you live. See the guidelines below for intra and interstate travel restrictions.
Tour de Vines is an accredited COVID Safe Tour operator.
Tour de Vines has taken the following steps to ensure your safety and the safety of our staff and staff at the places and venues we visit
- Practice social distancing at all times
- Comply with all venue (eg restaurants) guidelines at all times
- Provide compliant and new face masks for each and every guest and all staff
- Provide a personal hand sanitiser to each and every guest
- Clean and sanitise all equipment before and after each use
Revised Terms & Conditions
COVID Update: For any new bookings from the 1st June 2020, if government imposed travel restrictions are still in place at the time of your scheduled tour with Tour de Vines:
1. The choice of a full refund will be made available or a tour credit without any fees or costs will be applied to reschedule for a later date, or rebook onto any other tour where restrictions may not apply. There is no expiry on your credit and the credit can be used on any tour in any destination.
2. A deposit of $100 (normally $200 for Aus and $400 for international) is required to secure a booking for all tours (except day tours which will still require payment in full noting the above term still applies).
3. Balance of payment is not due until 30 days (normally 60 days) before the tour starts, or your confirmed itinerary has been issued, whichever is the later.
Travel Restrictions Information
See the links below to each relevant State or Territory website outlining updated rules and processes depending on where you are travelling from and to. Please note these are guidelines online, and whilst updated regularly please check your local authority before booking a cycling tour with us.
- Inbound non essential international visitors are not permitted.
- There is a ban on all overseas travel, with few exceptions.
- Discussions are currently being held for travel to and from New Zealand but no offical announcement has been made.
- Any changes to the rules below assume adherence to safe distancing and hygiene practices throughout.
Read more and stay up to date on the Victoria Department of Health Services website.
New South Wales
Stay up to date here: https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/travel-and-transport-advice
Check the Queensland government website for all updates on travel restrictions: https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/
Go to the SA Government website for COVID recovery for more.
The Northern Territory
You will have to quarantine if you have been in a declared COVID-19 hotspot in the 14 days before you arrive in the Territory.
Stay up to date here: https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/department-of-the-premier-and-cabinet/covid-19-coronavirus-travel-advice
Stay up to Date
Visit the offical Federal Government website to stay up to date on all current travel restrictions for both Australian inbound and outbound and for links to each of the states respective policies.