We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Vietnam Heritage by Bicycle
Gain an authentic understanding of Vietnam's storied past through this journey across the North. Hit two birds with one stone as you encounter the country's beauty in its mountains, seas, architectural structures and genuinely friendly people. Throughout the tour you'll be guided by English-speaking locals who are well-versed in the history, culture and customs of the area. There's a cornucopia of things to see and do on this heritage tour. It's a good mix of seeing historical sites, coastal cycling with fantastic sea views, river cruising on the Perfume River, visiting untouched settlements and tasting local delicacies.
- CategoryCultural & Historical
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration7 days
- Culture LevelOut There
- Skill Level2 - Novice
- Activity Level2 - Moderate
- Elevation2 - Moderate
- Distance155.3 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance31.1 miles
How long is the tour? How many days riding?
This tour is 7 days long, with 5 riding days.
How many riders will be in the group?
Groups can be from 2 to 16. For groups of 9 or more a second guide joins the tour.
Is there a minimum age for this tour?
Yes. Riders must be 14 years old by the time the tour starts.
What's the tour like?
This biking adventure takes you from Hue to Hoi An with lots of time spent sight-seeing and exploring enigmatic Vietnam.You'll ride a total of 250 km (155 mi) in five cycling days. The biking is on a mixture of well-surfaced roads and good quality, wide dirt tracks. The bicycle is still the most common form of transport, and you will share the road with school children and farmers alike.
Suitability: This trip is suitable for anyone with a reasonable level of fitness. This trip is not too arduous, and so riders with less experience are more than welcome, although the fitter you are, the more you will enjoy it.
Biking Conditions: This trip is mainly on good quality tarmac roads and some vehicle-width dirt roads. There are undulating rides in Hue and Hoi An and a climb to the top of Hai Van Pass. Participants can cycle as much or as little as they like and still enjoy the same views as the rest of the group.
Where does the tour start and finish?
The tour starts by meeting up with the tour operator in the city of Hue. It can be reached by flying in domestically from Saigon or Hanoi. The airport closest to Hue is Phu Bai International Airport (HUI).
Alternatively, you can fly into Da Nang and transfer by car to Hue with a travel time of 3 hours. The tour operator can arrange these internal travels.
The tour ends in Hoi An which is served by the Da Nang International Airport (DAD).
Hanoi to Hue: 669km
Saigon to Hue: 940 km
Are helmets required?
A helmet is required to be worn on all biking activities and is non-negotiable. If you do not wear a helmet you won't be allowed to cycle.
Am I safe?
The tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue. But to a large degree, riders must be responsible for their own safety during the tour. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a cycling tour.
Do I need a visa to enter Vietnam?
Visa requirements depend on the nationality of travellers and the type of visa they’re getting.
There are 24 countries included in the visa waiver program which means nationals of these countries can travel into Vietnam for a specific time without obtaining a visa.
For a list of the included countries, please visit this site - https://www.vietnamimmigration.org/vietnam-visa-waiver-program/
Citizens of 81 countries (including Canada, USA, Australia) can apply for a Vietnam e-visa. This type of visa allows visitors to stay in Vietnam for up to 30 days with single entry only. Processing time can take 2 – 3 working days.
For a list of included countries and more information about Vietnam e-visa, please visit this site - https://www.vietnamimmigration.org/vietnam-e-visa-2019/
Another option is the Visa on Arrival which is available for all nationalities and is more flexible in terms of how long the visa can be valid (30 days to 1 year, single entry or multiple entry). One main difference is that this visa takes more effort and time to avail. It requires a Vietnam Visa Approval Letter which can be processed online through the Vietnam Immigration Department. Upon arrival in Vietnam, you must have this letter and head for the “landing visa counter” or “visa upon arrival” office. You will be required to submit the following along with payment. Fees will vary depending on the type of visa
Printed visa approval letter
Completed visa application form (Form NA1)
For additional information, please visit this site - https://www.vietnamimmigration.org/vietnam-visa-on-arrival-2019/
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travellers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologise for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.