We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Bike and Hike Wild Madagascar
Throw yourself and the two-wheels of your bike into the land of Madagascar and all its wonderful natural sights. Bike, hike and bask in the dazzling array of landscapes that include savannahs, sea, mountains, beaches and rainforest. Spot wildlife that’s endemic to Madagascar and embrace an adventure like no other on this epic cycling trip.
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration15 days
- Culture LevelOut There
- Skill Level2 - Novice
- Activity Level4 - Challenging
- Elevation2 - Moderate
- Distance322.5 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance36 miles
How many days is the tour?
You have 15 days and 14 nights of fun on this tour. 9 of which will be spent on the bike and 3 days of hiking.
Where does the tour start and finish?
Meet at the Combava Hotel in Antananarivo. It can be accessed via Ivato International Airport (TNR).
It ends at Toliara where you can have breakfast at La Mira hotel before heading to Toliara Airport (TLE) or to your onward destination.
How many riders will be in the group? And what is the minimum age to join?
We can't say for certain how many will be joining. However to keep the tour personal the maximum number of participants is 16 and minimum is 2.
Minimum age to join is 18 years old
Can you describe the tour?
The journey is a multi-activity tour consisting of 519 km of riding and up to 50 km of hiking. This trip is recommended for confident and physically fit riders looking for a challenging experience with a variety of off-road activities.
Although for some riders the journey may at first seem overwhelming, the rewards for your effort are priceless. It will also have lasting memories once you have made up your mind to get in the saddle, and those adventurous minds are sure to make the most of their time on this one-of-a-lifetime expedition.
Suitability: The majority of this trip takes place off road, so it's recommend that participants be physically fit and confident riding on rough terrain. In addition, as this cycling adventure is complimented by two days of hiking through rugged terrain, a moderate level of physical fitness will be an asset.
Biking Conditions: The off-road portions of this trip are offset by flat tarmac and hard-packed roads. While the trails are generally smooth, some sections have loose gravel and sandy patches that could prove hazardous to riders. Additionally, as some of the descents can be rocky, extra caution is recommended.
Are bikes included?
No, however, you can hire bikes locally . The bikes are Carraro mountain bikes with lightweight alloy frames, 24- to 27-speed gearing, v-brakes, and Shimano components and front suspension.
If you bring your own bike, please make sure it is a mountain bike, preferably with front suspension, in good mechanical order.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travellers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologise for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.