We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Biking to Pandas and Buddhas
The fertile Chengdu Plain, on which provincial capital Chengdu is located, is known as the "Country of Heaven" and often translated as, "Land of Milk and Honey". You will leave China after this tour with more understanding of its ancient culture, an insight into the agriculture and natural environments and a camera full of photos of stunning landscapes, towering mountains and playful panda bears!
- CategoryCultural & Historical
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration7 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level3 - Intermediate
- Activity Level3 - Active
- Elevation2 - Moderate
- Distance185.2 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance32.9 miles
How long is the tour? How many days of riding?
This tour is 7 days long, with 5 riding days.
How many riders will be in the group?
Groups can be from 2 to 16. For groups of 9 or more, a second guide joins the tour.
Is there a minimum age for this tour?
Yes, riders must be 18 years old by the time the tour starts.
Can I rent a bike for the tour?
Yes, a well-known brand of mountain bike is available for hire at an additional cost.
What's the tour like?
The tour will start in Chengdu and from there the first tour highlight will be visited, the Dujiangyan Panda Valley. This new centre offers refuge for these magnificent, rare animals with rearing and breeding programmes. These giant pandas are the symbol of China, and the research centre provides education and raises awareness of the plight of these great creatures and their environment. The tour then moves on to discover two ancient towns and Mengding Mountain, which is famous for its tea culture.
On the mountain you can take a walk at the Mengdingshan Royal Tea Gardens, a delight with its atmospheric pavilions and walking paths. China's tea growing history can be traced back to the Western Han Dynasty over 2,000 years ago, Reputed to be the birthplace of Chinese tea cultivation, the tea trees planted at Mengding by a herdsman were believed to be the very beginning of China's tea history.
The next visit is UNESCO Heritage listed Mount Emei, one of China's Four Sacred Buddhist Mountains and traditionally regarded as a place of enlightenment. The unsurpassed views are one of the great spectacles of Mount Emei and is yet another high point of the tour in every sense of the word! The ride then follows the river to the town of many temples, Leshan. The last day takes one on a walk through bamboo forests and to Huang Long Xi, a picturesque town where many Chinese movies have been filmed.
Suitability: There are climbs and downhill runs, but they are all on paved roads so a smooth steady effort is possible. Being physically fit will of course be a huge asset. This tour is partially supported in that a vehicle will follow but will only have room for a few cyclists at a time.
Biking Conditions: This bike tour is all on smooth, paved roads. There are some climbs, and these could be a challenge for those without a moderate level of cycling experience and a basic level of good physical condition.
Am I safe?
The tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue. But to a large degree, riders must be responsible for their own safety during the tour. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a cycling tour.
Where does the tour start and finish?
The tour starts and finishes at Chengdu. Fly in and out through Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport (CTU).
Do I have to pay if travelling alone?
You are not required to pay a surcharge for travelling alone. The tour operator will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveller of the same gender. If you cannot be matched, they will provide a single room at no extra charge. If you prefer not to share, a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travellers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologise for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.