We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Kyushu Onsen to Onsen
The tour group meets in well-connected Fukuoka, from which you'll quickly head out with a ride along the Chikugo River to an Edo-era town. After climbing up the only significant hill on this trip, there is a leisurely descent to the town of Usa, followed by a visit to a Shinto shrine dating back to 708. Now it's time to ride around the conical 731 m-high (2398 ft) Mt. Futago volcano, which has 28 ravines extending radially from its centre. Cycling around the perimeter avoids a somewhat daunting climb and provides the opportunity to explore the beaches, ports, and hidden temples in the forest. This area is also very rural and known for producing scallions, leeks, tomatoes and prized kabosu limes.
- CategoryEasy-going & Leisurely
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration6 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level2 - Novice
- Activity Level2 - Moderate
- Elevation1 - Easy
- Distance147.3 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance37.3 miles
How long is the tour? How many days of riding?
This tour is 6 days long, with 4 riding days.
How many riders will be in the group?
Groups can be from 2 to 15 riders. For groups of 9 or more, a second guide joins the tour.
Is there a minimum age for this tour?
Yes. Riders must be 18 years old by the time the tour starts.
What's the tour like?
With more than 75% mountainous terrain, Japan's southern island of Kyushu offers a remote and rugged experience hard to find within such a highly developed country. This tour covers 262 km(163mi) of quiet roads with amazing views, through the northeastern corner of Kyushu. Though the terrain is predominantly undulating, there are climbs, big and small, sprinkled throughout each day's ride and you can expect an average daily elevation gain of 850m (2,788ft).
Suitability: This trip is suitable for the recreational cyclist with a good level of fitness and experience ascending and descending for moderately long climbs and descents. Riders with less experience are more than welcome, as the support vehicle will always be nearby in case you're in need of a rest, a lift, or a water bottle refill.
Biking Conditions: This trip is along tarmac roads in good condition, and there is no technical riding. The trip is fully supported; an air-conditioned vehicle follows you for the entire journey. However, it is a point-to-point ride, and cyclists will be encouraged to complete the riding distances.
Am I safe?
The tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue. But to a large degree, riders must be responsible for their own safety during the tour. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a cycling tour.
Where does the tour start and finish?
The tour begins at the hotel in Fukuoka which is near Hakata train station. The closest airport is Fukuoka Airport (FUK).
The tour ends in Beppu with the Oita Airport (OIT) being the closest.
Do I have to pay if travelling alone?
You are not required to pay a surcharge for travelling alone. The tour operator will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveller of the same gender. If you cannot be matched, they will provide a single room at no extra charge. If you prefer not to share, a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travellers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologise for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.