We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Murray to Mountains Rail Trail Cycling Tour (Self Guided)
The Tour de Murray to Mountains Rail Trail is a gloriously fun three-day self-guided cycling tour. A combination of easy, safe and supported cycling on the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail, including accommodation for 2 nights, food & wine tastings, tutorials and local experiences in the increasingly popular gourmet hub of north-east Victoria.
- CategoryEasy-going & Leisurely
- Duration3 days
- Culture LevelFamiliar
- Skill Level1 - Beginner
- Activity Level1 - Easy
- Elevation1 - Easy
- Distance45.4 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance22.7 miles
Where does the tour start and end?
The tour starts and ends in Beechworth in Northeast Victoria, Australia.
A number of airlines fly to Albury (in NSW) from Melbourne, Sydney and now Brisbane. Albury is a 45-minute drive to Beechworth, the tour operator can arrange a pick up service from Albury airport (ABX) for a fee.
Alternatively, there is a V/Line train service through Wangaratta from Melbourne and Sydney, from where the tour operator can arrange a collection for a fee.
If you are driving, Beechworth is approx. 285 km (177 mi) from Melbourne, so roughly a 3-hour drive north. It is a 7-hour drive south from Sydney.
How long is the tour? How many days riding?
The tour is 3 days long with 2 days riding.
What's the tour like?
The tour uses the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail cycling trail from Beechworth to Bright over 2 cycling days, riding a total distance of 72 km (44.7 mi). Don’t be daunted by that number, the vast majority of the trail from Beechworth is flat, or downhill and with numerous food and wine stops just about anyone can complete the riding comfortably. In fact, the tour operator says they are yet to have a ‘sag wagon’ (support bus) pick up, but that’s always an option for you.
Can I hire a bike?
Yes, there are new 24 gear flat bar Trek bikes available to hire, or if you’re in any doubt about your ability there are also E-bikes. These are like any normal bike but come with ‘pedal assist’ technology that gives you a little extra boost when you need it, meaning you can keep up with friends or get to your destination without any stress.
You can also bring your own bike if you prefer.
Is there a minimum age?
Yes, 18 is the minimum age for the tour.
If I'm travelling alone, will I have to pay more?
If you wish to have your own room or are travelling alone then a single supplement is payable.
Are helmets required?
A helmet is required to be worn on all biking activities and is non-negotiable. If you do not wear a helmet you won't be allowed to cycle.
The tour operator does have helmets available to hire but if you have your own this is preferable so that you are comfortable with a well-fitted helmet.
Are bag transfers or transport included?
Your bags will be moved between the accommodation daily and a return transfer is included back to the start point in Beechworth.
As the tour is self-guided, how will I know where to go?
Your arrival information will include detailed, daily riding instructions for your tour along with the map showing your route highlighted. Riding instructions will provide thorough information and give you the flexibility to travel at your own pace.
What if I buy a lot of wine or other large purchases?
The tour operator will gladly arrange to collect your purchases so you don't have to worry about that whilst you are enjoying the cycling.
Please read here for a message from the tour operator regarding COVID-19
Tour de Vines is open and operating tours in regions and states where travel restrictions allow.
We are able to host you on a tour depending on the tour region and where you live. See the guidelines below for intra and interstate travel restrictions.
Tour de Vines is an accredited COVID Safe Tour operator.
Tour de Vines has taken the following steps to ensure your safety and the safety of our staff and staff at the places and venues we visit
- Practice social distancing at all times
- Comply with all venue (eg restaurants) guidelines at all times
- Provide compliant and new face masks for each and every guest and all staff
- Provide a personal hand sanitiser to each and every guest
- Clean and sanitise all equipment before and after each use
Revised Terms & Conditions
COVID Update: For any new bookings from the 1st June 2020, if government imposed travel restrictions are still in place at the time of your scheduled tour with Tour de Vines:
1. The choice of a full refund will be made available or a tour credit without any fees or costs will be applied to reschedule for a later date, or rebook onto any other tour where restrictions may not apply. There is no expiry on your credit and the credit can be used on any tour in any destination.
2. A deposit of $100 (normally $200 for Aus and $400 for international) is required to secure a booking for all tours (except day tours which will still require payment in full noting the above term still applies).
3. Balance of payment is not due until 30 days (normally 60 days) before the tour starts, or your confirmed itinerary has been issued, whichever is the later.
Travel Restrictions Information
See the links below to each relevant State or Territory website outlining updated rules and processes depending on where you are travelling from and to. Please note these are guidelines online, and whilst updated regularly please check your local authority before booking a cycling tour with us.
- Inbound non essential international visitors are not permitted.
- There is a ban on all overseas travel, with few exceptions.
- Discussions are currently being held for travel to and from New Zealand but no offical announcement has been made.
- Any changes to the rules below assume adherence to safe distancing and hygiene practices throughout.
Read more and stay up to date on the Victoria Department of Health Services website.
New South Wales
Stay up to date here: https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/travel-and-transport-advice
Check the Queensland government website for all updates on travel restrictions: https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/
Go to the SA Government website for COVID recovery for more.
The Northern Territory
You will have to quarantine if you have been in a declared COVID-19 hotspot in the 14 days before you arrive in the Territory.
Stay up to date here: https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/department-of-the-premier-and-cabinet/covid-19-coronavirus-travel-advice
Stay up to Date
Visit the offical Federal Government website to stay up to date on all current travel restrictions for both Australian inbound and outbound and for links to each of the states respective policies.