We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
This trip starts off where the wild things are. You'll cycle to, and spend two nights in, the midst of Malaysia’s largest wildlife reserve, where you are sure to sight monkeys and teeming bird life. Next it’s on to a boat to cruise through the mangroves of the Kinabatagan River and hopefully sight proboscis monkeys, found only in Borneo. The tour will visit two different sanctuaries to see proboscis monkeys and orangutans up close before switching tracks and cycling off road. Then, from a position up high with spectacular views of Mount Kinabalu, you'll descend to the stunning coastline and are rewarded for all your efforts with a night at a luxurious resort.
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration11 days
- Culture LevelOut There
- Skill Level3 - Intermediate
- Activity Level3 - Active
- Elevation2 - Moderate
- Distance165.9 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance18.6 miles
How many riders will be in the group?
Groups can be from 2 to 16. For groups of 9 or more, a second guide joins the tour.
Is there a minimum age for this tour?
Yes, riders must be 18 years old by the time the tour starts.
Can I rent a bike for the tour?
Yes, quality mountain bikes can be hired for the duration of the tour.
The bikes are well-known makes with lightweight alloy frames, 24 to 27 speed gears, disc/v-brakes, have Shimano components and front suspension.
What's the tour like?
Suitability: The beginning of this ride is relatively flat, and the riding gets hillier towards the end of the adventure. Although distances are not huge, the heat and humidity of equatorial Sabah ensure things feel hot. This is a journey through the finest terrain and scenery of North Borneo, with the best in nature and wildlife, ensuring you get the very best of everything from your cycling efforts.
Biking Conditions: The road surfaces are mixed: most days you will ride on a mix of dirt and bitumen roads, though there will also be some good quality tarmac roads. There are enough rides on dirt tracks to mean you will need a mountain bike, and preferably one with front shocks. However, there is nothing technical involved on this tour, but some off-road riding experience will make this trip more enjoyable. A support truck is available most of the trip to help, though there are a few sections where you will have limited support.
Am I safe?
The tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue. But to a large degree, riders must be responsible for their own safety during the tour. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a cycling tour.
Where does the tour start and finish?
The tour starts and finishes at Kota Kinabalu, the state capital of Sabah, Malaysia. The closest airport is Kota Kinabalu International Airport (BKI).
Do I have to pay if travelling alone?
You are not required to pay a surcharge for travelling alone. The tour operator will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveller of the same gender. If you cannot be matched, they will provide a single room at no extra charge. If you prefer not to share, a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travellers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologise for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.