We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Mae Hong Son Hills
The Mae Hong Son area of northern Thailand is the country's remotest and most mountainous region. Close to the border of Myanmar, reflected in the diverse mix of hill tribes and the architecture of the region, the province of Mae Hong Son is a spectacular and unique place to visit and is still relatively undiscovered by many tourists. The fantastic mountainous landscape coupled with smooth tarmacked roads and a phenomenal loop of a route around this charming and mystical region makes this a road biking dream for those game enough for the challenge.
- CategoryRoad Cycling
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration9 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level4 - Advanced
- Activity Level4 - Challenging
- Elevation4 - Challenging
- Distance421.3 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance60.3 miles
How long is the tour? How many days riding?
This tour is 9 days long, with 7 riding days.
How many riders will be in the group?
Groups can be from 2 to 16. For groups of 9 or more, a second guide joins the tour.
Is there a minimum age for this tour?
Yes. Riders must be 18 years old by the time the tour starts.
Can I rent a bike for the tour?
Yes, there are Trek Domanes and carbon Émondas available for rent if you choose not to bring your own bicycle. These bicycles have Shimano components. If you have your own saddle that you are comfortable with, you are welcome to bring it, and it will be fitted. You should consider bringing your clip pedals, your shoes, and cleats.
What's the tour like?
On this hilly, and in places steep, ride, you will be challenged as you head up and over many beautiful passes and reach the summit of Thailand at 2,595 m (8,511 ft). You will ride just over 678 km (421 mi) in 7 days on smooth tarmac roads. The trip is fully supported, and your guide’s expert knowledge of the area and terrain means that you always know what is coming up in terms of distance and difficulty. This makes a tremendous difference, as does the constant supply of cold drinks, ice, and fresh fruit.
Suitability: This is a tour for cyclists possessing a high level of physical fitness. Fitness will be a huge asset on those long days and on the undulating hills. The tour is fully supported, and the bus is always close at hand for those who find the riding too difficult.
Biking Conditions: You will ride between 66 (41 mi) and 128 km (79 mi) a day for a total of 678 km (421 mi) in 7 riding days. Though the distances may not be that long, the climbs will be tough and challenging. The ascents range up to 2,890 m (9,481 ft) for a total of 14,121 m (46,328 ft) of climbing! The roads are 100% tarmac and in good condition.
Are helmets required?
A helmet is required to be worn on all biking activities and is non-negotiable. If you do not wear a helmet you won't be allowed to cycle.
Am I safe?
The tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue. But to a large degree, riders must be responsible for their own safety during the tour. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a cycling tour.
If I'm travelling alone, do I have to pay more?
You are not required to pay a surcharge for travelling alone. The tour operator will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveller of the same gender. If you cannot be matched, they will provide a single room at no extra charge. If you prefer not to share, a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Where does the tour start and end?
The tour starts and ends in Chiang Mai, fly in to Chiang Mai International Airport (CNX).
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travellers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologise for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.