We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Thailand to Malaysia by Road Bike
A road cycling odyssey through a less-explored region of Southeast Asia, offering ample contrast and the best of both. Ride from beaches to mountains. Stay remote, then explore the city. Experience colonial charm and hyper-modernity. Having it all isn't a stretch on this ride from coastal Thailand to bustling Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, with fantastic natural scenery, amazing food, and achievable distances that tell the full story one country to the next! This tour runs from Krabi, Thailand to Kuala Lumpur.
- CategoryRoad Cycling
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration12 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level3 - Intermediate
- Activity Level4 - Challenging
- Elevation3 - Intermediate
- Distance643.7 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance71.5 miles
How long is the tour? How many days cycling?
The tour is 12 days long with 9 days of cycling.
Where does the tour start and end?
The tour begins in Krabi, Thailand. The nearest airport is Krabi International Airport (KBV).
The tour ends in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The closest airport is Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KUL).
How many riders will be in the group? What is the minimum age to join?
The maximum number of participants is 16 and the minimum is 2.
The minimum age to join the tour is 18 years old.
Can you describe the tour?
This tour is an exciting ride for the amateur cyclist looking for more out of their experience. Consistently challenging distances of over 100 kilometers (62 mi) per day, jaunts into steepville with some leg-testing climbs, and a tough, ride-affirming day or two make for dynamic and satisfying riding. This tour is ideal for cyclists with experience tackling demanding ascents and riding multi-day tours.
You should feel comfortable maintaining a 28km (17mi) per hour speed for at least an hour at a time, and be able to manage hillier terrain on your ride. To prepare, aim to ride three times a week and vary your training with longer rides, hills, or cross-training.
This tour takes on over 1,000 kilometres (620 miles) in 9 cycling days, with variety in terrain and ride profiles. In Coastal South Thailand, the riding is primarily flat to gently undulating, while there are a couple of substantial climbs at the end of the tour in Central Malaysia. But don't worry, the route will prepare you for the big days, and the support vehicle is always close by should you need it!
You can expect a full day of cycling each day, with most daily distances over 100 kilometres (62 miles). The ride into Cameron Highlands involves substantial elevation gain on a single climb, so experience climbing is recommended. This tour is perfect for recreational cyclists who are comfortable riding over 100 kilometres (62 miles) on back to back days, but are looking for something interesting, and possibly more of a challenge!
Biking Conditions: As this is a road biking tour, the roads are all tarmac and in good condition. Some descents will be steep, requiring good handling skills. Though most roads are quiet and scenic, there will be some sections with light traffic outside urban areas. Your local cycling guide and support vehicle will be with you every inch of the way to let you know what's ahead and to offer you a rest and a lift should you need it.
Are bicycles included?
Trek Domane's and carbon Émonda's are available for rent if you choose not to bring your own bicycle. These bicycles have Shimano components. If you have your own saddle that you are comfortable with, you are welcome to bring it, and the tour operator will fit it for you. You should consider bringing your clip pedals, shoes, and cleats. If you bring your own bike, please make sure it is a road bike in good mechanical order.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travellers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologise for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.