We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Japan's Noto Peninsula
Jutting out into the Sea of Japan, the remote Noto Peninsula offers a coastline of impressive seascapes to explore by bike. While the rugged Western coast rises and falls, eroded as it is by wind and wave, the Eastern coast enjoys a calmer shore and stunning views of the distant Nagano alpine peaks. Starting in Kanazawa, explore the peninsula before heading down to Shirakawa-Go and finishing up in the beautiful city of Takayama.
- CategoryCultural & Historical
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration9 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level2 - Novice
- Activity Level3 - Active
- Elevation2 - Moderate
- Distance301.4 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance42.9 miles
How long is the tour? How many days of riding?
This tour is 9 days long, with 7 riding days.
How many riders will be in the group?
The group size can range from 4 - 8 riders.
What's the tour like?
The cycling around Noto Peninsula is moderately challenging with a few climbs. You will ride 512 km (318mi) on quiet roads with amazing views. The first few days riding are undulating, giving you ample time to warm up for the inclines towards the end of the trip, but averagely fit cyclists will have no problems.
Suitability: This trip is suitable for anyone with a reasonable level of fitness. This trip is not too arduous, so riders with less experience are more than welcome, although the fitter you are, the more you will enjoy it.
Biking Conditions: This trip is along tarmac roads in good condition, and there is no technical riding. The trip is fully supported; an air-conditioned bus follows the group for the entire journey, so exhausted riders can skip the tougher sections if they wish.
Am I safe?
The tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue. But to a large degree, riders must be responsible for their own safety during the tour. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a cycling tour.
Where does the tour start and finish?
The tour starts at the hotel in Kanazawa City which is a two-minute walk from Kanazawa train station. For those flying in, Komatsu Airport (KMQ) is the closest.
The tour finishes at Takayama where you can take a train to Nagoya and then transfer to a bullet train bound for Kyoto or Tokyo. The nearest airport to Takayama is Toyama Airport (TOY).
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travellers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologise for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.