We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Tour de Riesling Rail Trail: Cycling Clare Valley
With more than 150 years of winemaking history, the Clare Valley is one of Australia’s oldest wine regions. Enjoy cycling the off-road, safe and relatively flat Riesling Rail Trail and have all the logistics done for you, whilst you visit some of the best cellar doors and food outlets in Australia. This self guided 3 day/2 night tour gives you the flexibility of choosing your own dates and cycling the Riesling Rail Trail at your own pace.
- CategoryEasy-going & Leisurely
- Duration3 days
- Culture LevelFamiliar
- Skill Level1 - Beginner
- Activity Level1 - Easy
- Elevation1 - Easy
- Distance40.4 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance20.2 miles
Where does the tour start and end?
The tour starts and ends in the lovely town of Auburn, on the southern side of Clare.
Auburn is an easy 2 hour drive north of Adelaide, on the Princess Hwy/A1 and then Horrocks Hwy.
A coach service operates to Auburn from Adelaide. Contact Clare Valley coaches for the latest timetables. Car hire is also an option, and your vehicle can be left safely on the property at your first night’s accommodation if required.
There is no cycling on day one and guests can arrive anytime they please. But please note that hotel check-in time is 2:00pm and dinner is booked at 7:30pm.
The tour will end approximately at 3:30pm - 4:00pm on the last day of the tour.
How long is the tour?
The tour is 3 days long with 2 days riding.
What's the tour like?
The Riesling Rail Trail in the Clare Valley is a packed gravel surface, high quality cycling trail, suitable for all levels of riders and easy enough for non-riders too.
The cycling distances on both days of your tour are around 30 km (18.6 mi), and mostly flat, so this tour is categorised as ‘easy’, or beginner.
Can I hire a bike?
There are well maintained easy to ride mountain, hybrid and tandem bikes available for hire. There are also E-bikes available.
Is there a minimum age?
The minimum age is 18.
If I'm travelling alone, will I have to pay more?
If you wish to have your own room or are travelling alone then a single supplement is payable.
Are helmets required?
A helmet is required to be worn on all biking activities and is non-negotiable. If you do not wear a helmet you won't be allowed to cycle.
The tour operator does have helmets available to hire but if you have your own this is preferable so that you are comfortable with a well-fitted helmet.
Are bag transfers included?
Your bags will be moved between the accommodation daily.
As the tour is self-guided, how will I know where to go?
Your arrival information will include detailed, daily riding instructions for your tour along with the map showing your route highlighted. Riding instructions will provide thorough information and give you the flexibility to travel at your own pace.
What if I buy a lot of wine or other large purchases?
The tour operator will gladly arrange to collect your purchases so you don't have to worry about that whilst you are enjoying the cycling.
Are any group discounts available?
Yes, for groups of 6+ riders, a small discount is available. The discount is applied when all 6 riders book together online.
Please read here for a message from the tour operator regarding COVID-19
Tour de Vines is open and operating tours in regions and states where travel restrictions allow.
We are able to host you on a tour depending on the tour region and where you live. See the guidelines below for intra and interstate travel restrictions.
Tour de Vines is an accredited COVID Safe Tour operator.
Tour de Vines has taken the following steps to ensure your safety and the safety of our staff and staff at the places and venues we visit
- Practice social distancing at all times
- Comply with all venue (eg restaurants) guidelines at all times
- Provide compliant and new face masks for each and every guest and all staff
- Provide a personal hand sanitiser to each and every guest
- Clean and sanitise all equipment before and after each use
Revised Terms & Conditions
COVID Update: For any new bookings from the 1st June 2020, if government imposed travel restrictions are still in place at the time of your scheduled tour with Tour de Vines:
1. The choice of a full refund will be made available or a tour credit without any fees or costs will be applied to reschedule for a later date, or rebook onto any other tour where restrictions may not apply. There is no expiry on your credit and the credit can be used on any tour in any destination.
2. A deposit of $100 (normally $200 for Aus and $400 for international) is required to secure a booking for all tours (except day tours which will still require payment in full noting the above term still applies).
3. Balance of payment is not due until 30 days (normally 60 days) before the tour starts, or your confirmed itinerary has been issued, whichever is the later.
Travel Restrictions Information
See the links below to each relevant State or Territory website outlining updated rules and processes depending on where you are travelling from and to. Please note these are guidelines online, and whilst updated regularly please check your local authority before booking a cycling tour with us.
- Inbound non essential international visitors are not permitted.
- There is a ban on all overseas travel, with few exceptions.
- Discussions are currently being held for travel to and from New Zealand but no offical announcement has been made.
- Any changes to the rules below assume adherence to safe distancing and hygiene practices throughout.
Read more and stay up to date on the Victoria Department of Health Services website.
New South Wales
Stay up to date here: https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/travel-and-transport-advice
Check the Queensland government website for all updates on travel restrictions: https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/
Go to the SA Government website for COVID recovery for more.
The Northern Territory
You will have to quarantine if you have been in a declared COVID-19 hotspot in the 14 days before you arrive in the Territory.
Stay up to date here: https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/department-of-the-premier-and-cabinet/covid-19-coronavirus-travel-advice
Stay up to Date
Visit the offical Federal Government website to stay up to date on all current travel restrictions for both Australian inbound and outbound and for links to each of the states respective policies.