We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Wonders of Southern Nepal by Bicycle
Nepal's mountainous terrain isn't an obvious destination for those seeking a leisurely cycle trip, but the lowlands of the Terai offer just that along with a rich religious heritage of Buddhism and Hinduism, medieval towns, quaint hillside villages and protected wildlife.
- CategoryEasy-going & Leisurely
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration11 days
- Culture LevelOut There
- Skill Level2 - Novice
- Activity Level3 - Active
- Elevation2 - Moderate
- Distance192.6 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance27.3 miles
How long is the tour? How many days of riding?
This tour is 11 days long, with 7 riding days.
How many riders will be in the group?How many riders will be in the group?
Groups can be from 2 to 16. For groups of 9 or more, a second guide joins the tour.
Is there a minimum age for this tour?
Yes, riders must be 18 years old by the time the tour starts.
Can I rent a bike for the tour?
Yes, well-known mountain bike brands of good quality can be hired for the tour.
What's the tour like?
You will ride more than 310 km (193 mi) in seven cycling days. This tour is mainly on road with a few sections off-road on jeep-width dirt tracks. The distances are not too strenuous, and there are many downhills to look forward to. The route was designed for those who wish to see the rural countryside and absorb the rich history of Nepal, all while enjoying an active holiday. You will have a few climbs on the first day as you leave the Kathmandu Valley. Once you descend into the lowlands, the riding is on flat terrain, and you won't see many hills of any significance. The trip is fully supported, and your guide’s expert knowledge of the area and terrain means that you always know what is coming up in terms of distance and difficulty. This makes a tremendous difference, as does the constant supply of cold drinks and fresh fruit.
Suitability: You can expect a fairly gentle ride each day with none of the distances being overly long. There are a few small hills and some dirt trails, but these can be tackled by anyone with a moderate level of fitness. The emphasis on this tour is Nepal’s history, culture, and scenery, all off the beaten track.
Biking Conditions: This trip is mainly on tarmac roads with a few days where you will have hard packed dirt trails – no off-road experience required. An air-conditioned support bus travels behind the group to support, and participants can cycle as much or as little as they like and still enjoy the same views as the rest of the group.
Am I safe?
The tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue. But to a large degree, riders must be responsible for their own safety during the tour. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a cycling tour.
Where does the tour start and finish?
The tour starts and finishes at Kathmandu. The closest airport is Tribhuvan International Airport (KTM).
Do I have to pay if travelling alone?
You are not required to pay a surcharge for travelling alone. The tour operator will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveller of the same gender. If you cannot be matched, they will provide a single room at no extra charge. If you prefer not to share, a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travellers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologise for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.