We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Cycling Chiang Mai to Bangkok
Journey from north to south through the centre of Thailand on a voyage of discovery through the true heart of the country. Starting in Chiang Mai and leaving the jungles and mountains behind, you will cycle through the flatlands of central Thailand, exploring ancient relics and incredible temples, whilst enjoying phenomenal road biking on the smooth tarmac. Concluding in Bangkok, by which time you will have an authentic insight into Thai culture, history and landscape, this wonderful tour will provide memories to last a lifetime.
- CategoryCultural & Historical
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration11 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level2 - Novice
- Activity Level3 - Active
- Elevation3 - Intermediate
- Distance574.8 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance57.8 miles
How long is the tour? How many days riding?
This tour is 11 days long, with 10 riding days.
How many riders will be in the group?
Groups can be from 2 to 16. For groups of 9 or more, a second guide joins the tour.
Is there a minimum age for this tour?
Yes. Riders must be 18 years old by the time the tour starts.
Can I rent a bike for the tour?
Yes. The bikes available to rent are Trek 2.1 C, Domane 2.0 and carbon Émonda S5 road bikes, with Shimano components and seat posts. If you have your own saddle that you are comfortable with, you are welcome to bring it, and it will be fitted for you. Strap-style toe cages can be provided if requested, but you might like to consider bringing SPD clip pedals if you use them, and please make sure to bring your shoes and cleats.
What's the tour like?
The total distance is 925 km (574 mi) in 10 riding days. This tour is 100% on roads, and the route is designed for cyclists to see the best of Thailand. If you are looking for a more leisurely ride with more stops at sites, then please consider the River of Kings Ride tour that is along the same route. On this tour, you will start in the north, so there are a few climbs on the first two days as we go over the foothills surrounding Chiang Mai. The central part of Thailand is flat, and after the third day, you will not see any more hills.
You will travel south and east as you ride from Chiang Mai down to Sukhothai, Nakorn Sawan, and Ayutthaya before ending in Bangkok. All the rides are point to point, and there is only one transfer to avoid the worst of Bangkok traffic. The riding days are not overly long, and you won't be dragged out of bed at dawn. But you will ride every day, and some of the rides are definitely tough.
The trip is fully supported, and your guide’s expert knowledge of the area and terrain means that you always know what is coming up in terms of distance and difficulty. This makes a tremendous difference, as does the constant supply of cold drinks and fresh fruit.
Suitability: Fitness, of course, will be a huge asset, but as the tour is fully supported, the bus is always close at hand.
Biking Conditions: You can expect a few tough rides due to the daily distances, but they will all be on tarmac. There are some climbs in the first few days, after that the route is predominantly flat all the way to Bangkok.
Are helmets required?
A helmet is required to be worn on all biking activities and is non-negotiable. If you do not wear a helmet you won't be allowed to cycle.
Am I safe?
The tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue. But to a large degree, riders must be responsible for their own safety during the tour. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a cycling tour.
Where does the tour start and end?
The tour starts in Chiang Mai, fly in to Chiang Mai International Airport (CNX).
The tour ends in Bangkok, fly out of Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK).
If I'm travelling alone do I have to pay more?
You are not required to pay a surcharge for travelling alone. The tour operator will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveller of the same gender. If you cannot be matched, they will provide a single room at no extra charge. If you prefer not to share, a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travellers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologise for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.