We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Vietnam Bike Tour: Saigon to Hanoi
Do as the locals do and hop aboard a bike to join this epic cycling trip that covers the length of Vietnam from the south in Saigon to the capital in the north Hanoi. Discover the hidden treasures of this Southeast Asian gem as you take the wheels off the beaten path and delve into what makes this a friendly, diverse and culturally rich country. From the beaches of Nha Trang, Dalat’s cool mountain air and the wondrous sights of the Halong Bay archipelagos, Vietnam has it all and by cycling you will witness it in a way few other travellers ever will.
- CategoryCultural & Historical
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration17 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level3 - Intermediate
- Activity Level3 - Active
- Elevation3 - Intermediate
- Distance489 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance35.4 miles
How many days is the tour?
You have 17 days and 16 nights of fun on this tour. 14 of which will be spent on the bike.
Where does the tour start and finish?
The tour starts at the Northern Hotel in Ho Chi Minh. People flying in can access it through Tan Som Nhat International Airport (SGN). The tour finishes in Hanoi and is served by the Noi Bai International Airport (HAN).
How many riders will be in the group? And what is the minimum age to join?
We can't say for certain how many will be joining. However to keep the tour personal the maximum number of participants is 16 and minimum is 2.
Minimum age to join is 18 years old.
Can you describe the tour?
The biking adventure takes you 1,700 km from Saigon to Hanoi by bus, train, boat, and bike. You'll cycle about 787 km in 14 cycling days, enjoy a number of rest days, and lots of time can be spent sightseeing and exploring Vietnam. The cycling is on a mixture of well-surfaced roads and good quality dirt tracks.
Some of the days are quite long, and experienced riders usually find it sufficiently challenging. Faster cyclists can ride at their own pace after consulting the guides on the route. However, the average rider will want to ride and take photographs, stopping here and there to take in the magnificent sights. If you race through the country, you won't see much.
The route has been designed to explore the Vietnamese countryside that lies on either side of the main north-south artery, Highway 1. You'll spend no more than 20 km on this busy route. Away from the main roads, cycling in Vietnam is a wonderful experience; the bicycle is the most common form of rural transport, and you will share the road and tracks with beautiful girls in flowing ao dais, school children, and farmers. Such is the friendliness your voice may not be capable of saying 'hello' by the end of the day!
The rest days allow you to explore all the main tourist sites and places of interest along the way. You decide where you wish to go and on your own time. You can take this time on your own in Nha Trang, Hoi An, Hue, and Halong Bay so that you can really get to know and perhaps understand Vietnam and its people. Additionally, the guides will give you a fabulous extra personal and first-hand insight to their culture.
Suitability: This trip is suitable for anyone with a reasonable level of fitness. This trip is not too arduous, and so riders with less experience are more than welcome, although the fitter you are, the more you will enjoy it. An air-conditioned bus travels behind the group for support. On some occasions, when it is impossible for the bus to follow on the dirt tracks, a motorcycle back up will be arranged with snacks and water.
Biking Conditions: This trip is mainly on good-quality tarmac roads and some vehicle-width dirt roads. A support truck is always available to help when required, and participants can cycle as much or as little as they like and still enjoy the same views as the rest of the group.
Are bike hires available?
Bike hires are available for USD 195
The bikes are well-known makes of mountain bikes with lightweight alloy frames, 24- to 27-speed gearing, v-brakes, and Shimano components and front suspension. If you bring your own bike, please make sure it is a mountain bike, preferably with front suspension, in good mechanical order.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travellers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologise for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.