We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Bali Mountain Biking Adventure
If you’re a rider who loves mountain biking and are up for a new challenge, then this tour will more than exceed your expectations. Starting from the beach resort of Sanur you'll explore the famous Batur Crater, visit the island's two highest volcanoes and various canyons. Take in breath-taking coastal views along the way as you ride on a variety of surfaces – dirt, volcanic lava, gravel, sand and tarmac – and witness a huge diversity of environments, from volcanic craters to beautifully crafted rice paddies, finally ending at gorgeous beaches.
- CategoryMountain Biking
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration7 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level3 - Intermediate
- Activity Level4 - Challenging
- Elevation3 - Intermediate
- Distance105.6 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance21.1 miles
How long is the tour? How many days of riding?
This tour is 7 days long, with 5 riding days.
How many riders will be in the group?
Groups can be from 2 to 16. For groups of 9 or more, a second guide joins the tour.
Is there a minimum age for this tour?
Yes, riders must be 18 years old by the time the tour starts.
Can I rent a bike for the tour?
Yes, a Trek 4700 mountain bike is suitable for the tour and is available for hire.
What's the tour like?
Starting from the beach resort of Sanur, you will explore the famous Batur Crater. You will also visit the island's two highest volcanoes and various canyons, taking in breath-taking coastal views from the rims of craters and cycle on small trails through forests, coconut groves, and rice paddy fields that Bali is famous for. During what can only be described as an epic trip, you can
also unwind at the swimming pools of Balinese hotels.
Suitability: This trip is recommended for riders who enjoy and have some off-road experience, but you don’t have to be an expert to get the best out of this trip. This tour is mainly on jeep trails and single track. While the off-road riding is not that technical, some experience is highly recommended. The support vehicle cannot always follow but will meet the group at certain points
along the trail.
Biking Conditions: Although this tour only covers around 170 km in 4 full cycling days and one half day, it is still quite challenging. Because flat land in Bail is almost non-existent, the experience is almost entirely off-road on a series of challenging surfaces, including forest trails, red mud hard-pack, volcanic sand, lava cobbles, gravel, and broken tarmac roads. There are sections of single-track in every ride, but no long rocky or rooty sections or big drops. As far as
gradients are concerned, all the trails except one have an overall down-hill element to them (in other words they finish at a lower altitude than the start). A few steep ascents and descents are also part of the program, but these are normally short and sharp.
Am I safe?
The tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue. But to a large degree, riders must be responsible for their own safety during the tour. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a cycling tour.
Where does the tour start and finish?
The tour begins in Sanur and ends in Ubud. The closest airport to both locations is Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS).
Do I have to pay if traveling alone?
You are not required to pay a surcharge for traveling alone. The tour operator will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveler of the same gender. If you cannot be matched, they will provide a single room at no extra charge. If you prefer not to share, a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travelers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologize for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.