We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Biking Hanoi to Luang Prabang
Come and cycle the majestic mountain ranges of Vietnam and Laos for a fresh perspective on these Southeast Asian countries that few others will ever have the privilege of seeing. The journey will lead you past flowing rivers, towering limestone cliffs, cascading green rice paddies and introduce you to fascinating hilltop tribal communities. Put simply: this is the adventure of a lifetime and one you will cherish forever.
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration13 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level3 - Intermediate
- Activity Level3 - Active
- Elevation2 - Moderate
- Distance393.3 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance43.5 miles
How many days is the tour?
You have 13 days and 12 nights of fun on this tour. 9 of which will be spent on the bike.
Where does the tour start and finish?
Hanoi is the starting point of the tour where you can explore the city before meeting the rest of the crew over dinner. The tour operator will provide more details. Nearest airport is Noi Bai International Airport (HAN).
Luang Prabang is the final destination where you can laze around in the morning before heading off to Luang Phrabang Airport (LPQ).
How many riders will be in the group? And is there an age limit?
We can't say for certain how many will be joining. However to keep the tour personal the maximum number of participants is 16 and minimum is 2.
Minimum age to join is 18 years old.
Can you describe the tour?
This tour is the ultimate mountain bike adventure. After an overnight train ride from Hanoi, you'll ride up to 633 km through Indochina’s most spectacular mountain scenery. Although the riding is tough, it is very enjoyable, and anyone who enjoys hill riding and remote valleys will love this tour. The views are really fantastic, and the people are extraordinarily colorful and friendly.
This trip will have support from a mix of jeeps, motorbikes, and air-con buses. Due to the nature of some of the trails, the jeep cannot follow, then you will have motorbike support, and during these motor bike sections, the group will have rendezvous points with the support vehicle.
Suitability: This trip is tough due to the nature of the area. It is a very mountainous region, and you must cross many valleys and mountains to get to Dien Bien Phu and then onwards to Luang Prabang. The tour starts with some easier rides but builds up to some tough all-day riding. This trip should only be attempted by fit and experienced cyclists.
Biking Conditions: The roads are a mixture of good asphalt, broken or potholed roads, and some off-road cycling tracks. While the off-road riding is not that technical, some experience will help. Support is always available when required.
Are rental bikes available?
Yes, bike hires are available for USD 200.
The bikes are well-known makes of mountain bikes with lightweight alloy frames, 24- to 27-speed gearing, v-brakes, and Shimano components and front suspension. If you bring your own bike, please make sure it is a mountain bike, preferably with front suspension, in good mechanical order.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travelers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologize for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.