We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Cycling Coastal Thailand
Experience authentic, off the tourist-trail Thailand but without compromising on the stunning scenery and enticing beaches that this beautiful land is famed for. Beginning in vibrant Bangkok, the tour will wind south on quiet roads heading ultimately to the pristine beaches of Khao Lak. Pass 11 eventful days biking through outstanding landscapes, engaging with the locals, discovering endless beaches, seeing sites of historical and cultural interest, basking in the most picturesque of settings and savoring every moment of cycling on this quintessential southern coastal route.
- CategoryCultural & Historical
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration11 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level1 - Beginner
- Activity Level2 - Moderate
- Elevation1 - Easy
- Distance208.2 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance21.1 miles
How long is the tour? How many days riding?
This tour is 11 days long, with 10 riding days.
How many riders will be in the group?
Groups can be from 2 to 16. For groups of 9 or more, a second guide joins the tour.
Is there a minimum age for this tour?
Yes. Riders must be 18 years old by the time the tour starts.
Can I rent a bike for the tour?
Yes. Trek hybrid bikes, equipped specifically for this tour, are available to hire if you do not wish to bring your own.
What's the tour like?
You will cycle 335 kilometres in 10 cycling days exploring beaches, waterfalls, jungles, and fishing villages, overnighting on beautiful islands. You will enjoy some time off the bike, so you can take in boat rides, wildlife, and islands. The cycling is on a mixture of tarmac and dirt roads, mostly on flat terrain.
The route has been designed to allow you to see the rural Thai countryside and the rich history of Thailand, all while enjoying an active holiday. You will ride off the main roads as much as possible, so you can explore long stretches of beaches, the beautiful island of Ko Talu, and scenic areas around Koh Kho Khao and Khao Lak. You will have a true Thai experience when you will spend an afternoon with a traditional fishing community.
The trip is fully supported, and your guide’s expert knowledge of the area and terrain means that you always know what is coming up in terms of distance and difficulty. This makes a tremendous difference, as does the constant supply of cold drinks and fresh fruit.
Suitability: You can expect a fairly gentle ride each day with none of the distances being overly long. There are a few small hills and some dirt trails, but these can be tackled by anyone with even a moderate amount of fitness. The emphasis on this tour is Thailand’s history, culture, and scenery, all off the beaten track.
Biking Conditions: This trip is mainly on tarmac roads with a few sections where we will have hard packed dirt trails – no off-road experience required. An air-conditioned support bus travels behind the group to support us, and participants can cycle as much or as little as they like and still enjoy the same views as the rest of the group.
Are helmets required?
A helmet is required to be worn on all biking activities and is non-negotiable. If you do not wear a helmet you won't be allowed to cycle.
Am I safe?
The tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue. But to a large degree, riders must be responsible for their own safety during the tour. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a cycling tour.
Will I pay more if I'm traveling alone?
You are not required to pay a surcharge for traveling alone. The tour operator will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveler of the same gender. If you cannot be matched, they will provide a single room at no extra charge. If you prefer not to share, a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Where does the tour start and end?
The tour begins in Bangkok, fly into Suvarnnabhumi Airport (BKK).
The tour ends in Khao Lak and you can fly out of Phuket International Airport (HKT).
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travelers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologize for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.