We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Southern Laos by Bicycle
Despite its persuasive charms, Laos remains the Southeast Asian country that slips under the radar. Be prepared to discover why this glorious land full of waterfalls, fragrant coffee plantations, picturesque villages and welcoming local people deserves top billing in the region. What better way to do it than atop a bike, thoroughly absorbing the sights as you breathe in the lovely landscapes of Laos.
- CategoryEasy-going & Leisurely
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration8 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level2 - Novice
- Activity Level2 - Moderate
- Elevation2 - Moderate
- Distance162.8 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance27.3 miles
What's the tour like?
Your biking sojourn takes you through the Southern Lowlands from Pakse down to the Cambodian border before heading north and then east to the fertile lands of the coffee rich Bolaven Plateau. You'll cover up to 262 km (162.8 mi) in 6 cycling days, and much of the terrain is quite flat except for the days up on the plateau. There are some great natural attractions and the chance to spot the rare Irrawaddy dolphins makes this one tour that has absolutely something for everyone. Along the way, the scenery is constantly changing: you'll go from arid scrub land to jungle to lush green valleys. The views at some of the places you'll be staying in are absolutely amazing, and this, combined with the changing scenery, make this tour a feast for the eyes. Apart from cycling, there will be some time to see 5th century temples of Wat Phu, some wonderful waterfalls, visit one of the best coffee growing areas in the world, and hopefully are lucky enough to sight the elusive Irrawaddy dolphins from one of the Mekong's 4,000 islands.
Suitability: This ride is a great one for novices and experts alike. Most of this ride is flat apart from the end of Day 5 and the start of Day 6, and it undulates on Day 8. The road surfaces are generally very good and so make for easier riding. Anyone who has moderate fitness will enjoy this tour.
Biking Conditions: The road surfaces are mixed: most days you'll ride on reasonably good quality asphalt roads, but there are enough rides on very badly broken or dirt tracks to mean you will need a mountain bike, preferably one with front shocks. However, there is nothing technical involved on this tour, and anyone, assuming they are fit enough, will be able to join no matter how little cycling experience they have. A support truck is always available to help when
required, except on Day 4 when you ride on the islands.
How long is the tour? How many days of riding?
This tour is 8 days long, with 6 riding days.
How many riders will be in the group?
Groups can be from 2 to 16. For groups of 9 or more, a second guide joins the tour.
Is there a minimum age for this tour?
Yes, riders must be 18 years old by the time the tour starts.
Can I rent a bike for the tour?
Yes, quality mountain bikes can be hired for the duration of the tour.
The bikes are well-known makes with lightweight alloy frames, 24 to 27 speed gears, v-brakes, have Shimano components and front suspension.
Am I safe?
The tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue. But to a large degree, riders must be responsible for their own safety during the tour. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a cycling tour.
Where does the tour start and finish?
The tour starts and finishes at Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand. It can be accessed via Ubon Ratchathani International Airport (UBP).
Do I have to pay if traveling alone?
You are not required to pay a surcharge for traveling alone. The tour operator will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveler of the same gender. If you cannot be matched, they will provide a single room at no extra charge. If you prefer not to share, a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travelers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologize for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.