We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Taiwan Traverse by Road Bike
On this hilly, and in places steep, ride you will be challenged as you head up and over the Central Mountain Range twice, culminating at 3,275 m (10,745 ft) on the Hehuanshan Road. You will ride just under 927 kilometers (576 miles) in 9 days of riding on smooth tarmac roads. The trip is fully supported and your guide’s expert knowledge of the area and terrain means that you always know what is coming up in terms of distance and difficulty. This makes a tremendous difference, as does the constant supply of cold drinks, ice and fresh fruit.
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration11 days
- Culture LevelOut There
- Skill Level4 - Advanced
- Activity Level4 - Challenging
- Elevation4 - Challenging
- Distance582.2 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance64 miles
How long is the tour? How many days of riding?
This tour is 11 days long, with 9 riding days.
How many riders will be in the group?
Groups can be from 4 to 12 riders. For groups of 9 or more, a second guide joins the tour.
Is there a minimum age for this tour?
Yes. Riders must be 18 years old by the time the tour starts.
What's the tour like?
On this mountainous, and in some places steep, ride, you and your legs will be put to the test as you head up and over the challenging passes of Taiwan's mountain ranges. You will ride just under 915 km (569mi) in 9 days of riding on smooth tarmac roads.
The trip is fully supported, and your guide’s expert knowledge of the area and terrain means that you always know what is coming up in terms of distance and difficulty. This makes a tremendous difference, as does the constant supply of cold drinks, ice, and fresh fruit.
Suitability: This is a tour for cyclists possessing a high level of physical fitness. Riders should be capable of making sustained climbs, and riding over 100 kilometers per day through mountainous terrain. Fitness will be a huge asset on those long days, steep climbs, and undulating hills, as will cycling skill to handle long descents. The tour is fully supported, and the bus is always close at hand for those that find the riding too difficult.
Biking Conditions: This is a climber's dream tour. A total of over 10,000 m (32,808 ft) climbing in 10 cycling days, the true test is within the first four days of the route, which are the most climbing intensive days and total over 8,000 meters (26,246 ft) elevation gained in less than 400 km (249 mi). Despite the climbs, the route is on good quality tarmac roads through the mountains and along the coast.
Am I safe?
The tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue. But to a large degree, riders must be responsible for their own safety during the tour. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a cycling tour.
Where does the tour start and finish?
The tour starts with the operator picking you up in the morning from your hotel in Taipei. The closest airport to the city is Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport (TPE).
The tour ends in Kaohsiung where you can take a high-speed train to Taipei. The closest airport to Kaohsiung is Kaohsiung International Airport (KHH).
Do I have to pay if traveling alone?
You are not required to pay a surcharge for traveling alone. The tour operator will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveler of the same gender. If you cannot be matched, they will provide a single room at no extra charge. If you prefer not to share, a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travelers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologize for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.