We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Tour de Great Taste Trail: Cycling Tour from Nelson
As the name suggests, this cycling tour of the Great Taste Trail is a journey into food and wine country on the south island of New Zealand. Starting and ending in the scenic, seaside town of Nelson, this tour will delight the senses with the array of wonderful local produce, including some incredible wines! This is a fully guided tour, and you will be looked after from start to finish. Quality accommodation, gourmet meals, all winery visits, transport and a guide are all included. Sit back, cycle a little and enjoy all the best of this beautiful and stunning region of New Zealand.
- CategoryEasy-going & Leisurely
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration6 days
- Culture LevelFamiliar
- Skill Level1 - Beginner
- Activity Level2 - Moderate
- Elevation2 - Moderate
- Distance98.8 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance24.7 miles
Where does the tour start and end?
The tour starts and ends in Nelson, on the south island of New Zealand. Access to Nelson is relatively straightforward with an airport on the edge of the town (Nelson Airport: NSN) and regular flights with Air New Zealand from all the major cities in NZ.
Driving is also an option with a scenic drive from Christchurch (416 km/258 mi, so probably worth a stopover en route) or arrive via the inter-island ferry taking you over the Cook Strait from Wellington on the north island to lovely Picton on the south island. Your tour includes pick up & drop off transfers.
How long is the tour? How many days riding?
The tour is 6 days long with 4 days riding.
What's the tour like?
The Great Taste Trail is graded as easy to intermediate, with a couple of hill sections over the 4 days of cycling. A combination of paved trails, quiet country roads and gravel tracks, the majority of cycling is on flat, scenic terrain and is a delight to ride. Average daily distances are 30-40 km (18.6-24.8 mi). The tour will complete the full Great Taste Trail loop, and includes a short shuttle section to keep you off the steep dirt tracks.
Is a bike included?
High quality 24 gear hybrid bikes are included, or choose an E-bike to make the ride a little easier, or if you have any concerns about your riding ability. Additionally, support is never far away.
Is there a minimum age?
Yes, 18 is the minimum age for the tour.
If I'm traveling on my own, do I have to pay more?
If you wish to have your own room or are traveling solo then a single supplement is payable.
Are there any group discounts?
For groups of 6 or more, booking altogether, there is a small discount given per person. The discount is applied when 6 or more riders book together online.
Are helmets required?
A helmet is required to be worn on all biking activities and is non-negotiable. If you do not wear a helmet you won't be allowed to cycle.
The tour operator does have helmets available to hire but if you have your own this is preferable so that you are comfortable with a well-fitted helmet.
What sort of support is there?
You have the services of a local guide cycling with you. A support bus carries all luggage and will always be available for anyone at any point during the day. If for instance you want to take a day off the bike, or if a particular day seems a little hard, the bus will take you for as long or as little as you wish it to. The guides are enthusiastic experts on the local area and will be able to sort out any problems or special requests that you might have.
Please read here for a message from the tour operator regarding COVID-19
Tour de Vines is open and operating tours in regions and states where travel restrictions allow.
We are able to host you on a tour depending on the tour region and where you live. See the guidelines below for intra and interstate travel restrictions.
Tour de Vines is an accredited COVID Safe Tour operator.
Tour de Vines has taken the following steps to ensure your safety and the safety of our staff and staff at the places and venues we visit
- Practice social distancing at all times
- Comply with all venue (eg restaurants) guidelines at all times
- Provide compliant and new face masks for each and every guest and all staff
- Provide a personal hand sanitiser to each and every guest
- Clean and sanitise all equipment before and after each use
Revised Terms & Conditions
COVID Update: For any new bookings from the 1st June 2020, if government imposed travel restrictions are still in place at the time of your scheduled tour with Tour de Vines:
1. The choice of a full refund will be made available or a tour credit without any fees or costs will be applied to reschedule for a later date, or rebook onto any other tour where restrictions may not apply. There is no expiry on your credit and the credit can be used on any tour in any destination.
2. A deposit of $100 (normally $200 for Aus and $400 for international) is required to secure a booking for all tours (except day tours which will still require payment in full noting the above term still applies).
3. Balance of payment is not due until 30 days (normally 60 days) before the tour starts, or your confirmed itinerary has been issued, whichever is the later.
Travel Restrictions Information
See the links below to each relevant State or Territory website outlining updated rules and processes depending on where you are traveling from and to. Please note these are guidelines online, and whilst updated regularly please check your local authority before booking a cycling tour with us.
- Inbound non essential international visitors are not permitted.
- There is a ban on all overseas travel, with few exceptions.
- Discussions are currently being held for travel to and from New Zealand but no offical announcement has been made.
- Any changes to the rules below assume adherence to safe distancing and hygiene practices throughout.
Read more and stay up to date on the Victoria Department of Health Services website.
New South Wales
Stay up to date here: https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/travel-and-transport-advice
Check the Queensland government website for all updates on travel restrictions: https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/
Go to the SA Government website for COVID recovery for more.
The Northern Territory
You will have to quarantine if you have been in a declared COVID-19 hotspot in the 14 days before you arrive in the Territory.
Stay up to date here: https://www.wa.gov.au/organization/department-of-the-premier-and-cabinet/covid-19-coronavirus-travel-advice
Stay up to Date
Visit the offical Federal Government website to stay up to date on all current travel restrictions for both Australian inbound and outbound and for links to each of the states respective policies.