We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Cultural Road from Hoi An to Siem Reap
Riding along the Vietnamese coastline, visit the UNESCO World Heritage sites of Hoi An, Southeast Asia’s major trading ports during the 17th and 18th centuries, and My Son, the ancient center of the Cham civilization. Stop at My Lai for a somber tour of one of the worst massacres of the American/Vietnam War, then head into the central highlands, riding through scenic countryside before reaching Pleiku, home of the best coffee in Vietnam. The next day, cross the border to Cambodia to explore the local Khmer life. Take a cruise on the Mekong River to see the endangered Irrawaddy dolphins and ride through the picturesque town of Siem Reap, which hosts the magnificent temple sites of the Angkor Wat complex.
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration14 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level2 - Novice
- Activity Level3 - Active
- Elevation3 - Intermediate
- Distance494 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance44.7 miles
How many days is the tour?
You have 14 days and 13 nights of fun on this tour. 11 of which will be spent on the bike.
Where does the tour start and finish?
The tour starts in the charming city of Hoi An in Vietnam. It can be accessed via Da Nang International Airport (DAD).
It finishes in Siem Reap, Cambodia where international flights take off from Siem Reap International Airport (REP).
How many riders will be in the group? And what is the minimum age to join?
We can't say for certain how many will be joining. However to keep the tour personal the maximum number of participants is 16 and minimum is 2.
Minimum age to join is 18 years old
Can you describe the tour?
This biking adventure takes you from the coast of Vietnam through the central highlands to the heart of Cambodia. You will cycle approximately 791 km in 11 cycling days, with lots of time sightseeing and exploring the countryside. The cycling is on a mixture of well-surfaced roads and good quality dirt tracks.
Some of the days are quite long, and experienced riders usually find it sufficiently challenging. Faster cyclists can ride at their own pace after consulting the guides on the route. However, the average rider will want to ride and take photographs, stopping here and there to take in the magnificent sites. If you race through the countryside, you'll be missing out. The terrain is varied from flat days to hilly and undulating days. There will be a few days where you will cover longer distances, but these are mostly on flat terrain, and the kilometers will speed by. Experienced riders will find the distances long enough to challenge them, while less experienced riders are easily able to travel at a more relaxed pace.
Suitability: This trip is suitable for anyone with a reasonable level of fitness. This trip is mildly challenging, so the more time you have spent in the saddle and the fitter you are, the more you will enjoy it.
Biking Conditions: This trip is mainly on good quality tarmac roads and some vehicle-width dirt roads. No off-road riding experience is required. A support truck is always available to help when required, and participants can cycle as much or as little as they like and still enjoy the same views as the rest of the group.
Are bike hires available?
Mountain bikes can be hired for locally for USD 185. The bikes are well-known makes of mountain bikes with lightweight alloy frames, 24- to 27-speed gearing, v-brakes, and Shimano components and front suspension. If you bring your own bike, please make sure it is a mountain bike, preferably with front suspension, in good mechanical order.
You can also hire an electric bike (or an E-Bike) for the Vietnam section of the tour for the price listed in the tour pricing section. There are 2 sizes available: S = 155 cm - 170 cm and M = 171cm - 180 cm. The E-Bikes are GIANT brand with SHIMANO Alivio1,9 speed, disc brakes, and adjustable suspension fork.
Are helmets required?
A helmet is required to be worn on all biking activities and is non-negotiable. If you do not wear a helmet you won't be allowed to cycle.
Am I safe?
The tour leader is trained in first aid and emergency rescue. But to a large degree, riders must be responsible for their own safety during the tour. It is therefore compulsory that you take out travel insurance that will cover you for a cycling tour.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travelers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologize for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.